Stabbing Victim Had Filed for Protection
In Sheila Taina Menefee's request for a protective order against her boyfriend, filed in a Montgomery County court eight hours before she was stabbed to death Sunday, she described Ruben Antonio Diaz as abusive and said he had made her feel "unsafe."

Diaz, 20, was a foot taller and almost twice as heavy as Menefee, 21, who stood 4-foot-11 and weighed 110 pounds. About 1:30 p.m. Sunday, she told authorities, Diaz attacked her.

"As I was leaving for church, he followed me outside [because] I didn't say goodbye, and then he threatened me," she wrote in the court petition at 5:50 p.m. Sunday. "I was putting the baby in the car seat, and he tried taking my keys."

She said, "that's when I ... kicked him, and he choked me and shoved me up against the car. He shoved me ... on top of the baby and enclosed my mouth and nose with his hand. I opened the door and honked the horn while I yelled for help."

When police arrived, Menefee did what domestic violence experts usually advise in such situations: She filed an assault charge against Diaz, then obtained a civil protective order, requiring him to stay away. But later that night, after being released on bail, Diaz allegedly showed up at Menefee's apartment in the White Oak section and stabbed her so many times that police had trouble counting the wounds.
Folks, this is why you need to BUY A GUN. If someone is bent on harming you, the police will not be there 24 hours a day.
I used an example just like this case in an argument with a liberal anti-gun type over 10 years ago, assuming that the person's concern for "protecting women's bodies" would override the general concern about gun safety. Nope. "Just wait for the police," was all that person could offer. Of course, this was a person who was so safe and privileged that she couldn't even imagine the realities of this type of situation. (I was safe and somewhat privileged too, but I had an active imagination.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

after so many years I had the sudden urge to look up information/updates on my cousin's murder case and I found this article. I just want to say that a tottaly agree that everyone should have a gun near by. The police does there best, but after all they are only human. All though Im gonna add that when God decides that its ur time to go there will be nothing to stop it. Sheila was always so beautiful and full of life. Her smile was amazing. Its stupid to think that a stupid piece of paper can keep a murderer from killing. .....On that note!!! Sheila we love and miss u vey much!!!