For the past 2 days I have been harassed in the course of my work by a lawyer who has repeatedly accused me of lying, interrupted me when I attempted to respond to her accusations, attempted to trick me into saying things I did not intend to say, and generally behaved more rudely than I have seen anyone behave since I was under the age of 12. Congratulations, legal profession. You're turning out some real winners.
The sad thing is that if she had approached me civilly and we had had a discussion about her issue, it would already be resolved. But because she is not rational and I cannot trust her to treat me with any regard, I have to refer her to our lawyer, who is out until next week.
I was raised that you never, ever accuse someone of lying, EVEN if you are 100% certain it is TRUE, on the off chance that you might, might possibly be wrong, and then have slandered that person and of course mortally offended them. I am so affronted that this person has accused me of lying simply because she assumes the worst possible explanation for an event, and has then gone to other organizations I work with and told them the same thing (although they will immediately see that several of her assumptions are incorrect and probably begin to doubt her entire statement) that I want to puke. Correcting her puts me in the position of having to prove a negative, which actually can be done IF I can track down the people responsible for the event she is upset about, when I don't even know who they are. And I'm sure, when she finally has the truth bashed into her thick skull by a third party, that it won't even occur to her to apologize to me, or to correct the slander she has spread about me and my organization to other people. So I'll have the pleasure of doing that.

And you all wonder why I am a misanthrope.

No comments: