A number of bloggers have been posting their five guilty pleasures. When I first considered doing this, I thought: "Maybe it would be easier to post five non-guilty pleasures." But here goes:
1.COPS (the TV show) - I love watching stupid people get arrested, especially those who think the cop will buy the excuse that "This is my friend's cocaine/illegal gun/stolen car."
2. Music:
New Wave/Techno/Electronic music such as Devo, New Order, Moby, Orbital, Depeche Mode.
Blues/Country such as Robert Johnson (any man who sings a song called "Dead Shrimp Blues" is all right by me), Johnny Cash, Muddy Waters, CCR (ok, the genre's bleeding out a bit).
Third category that I can't give a good name to: The Pixies, The Breeders, The White Stripes, Beck (I guess I could stretch it and throw in Led Zeppelin).
3. Animals. I freaked out a colleague who asked me what my ideal job would be when I told him running a "retirement home" for old greyhounds. (Keep in mind that given the job context, a number of my other potential ideal job candidates weren't the best response to give at that time.) (His response was teaching theater to high school students. See, I can work with ANYONE.) I love animals - dogs, cats, chickens, llamas, bunnies, turtles, ducks, pigeons, etc. Basically any animal that is mildly intelligent and not poisonous is great fun. What makes this a guilty pleasure? Nine times out of ten, I prefer animals to people.
4. Making promises I know I will not keep. That's a particularly bad one. This guilty pleasure is highly correlated with the guilty pleasure of sleeping too much.
5. Awful puns.

No comments: