Eve has included John Donne's poem, "Batter my Heart, Three-personed God" on her blog, which means I am forced, at gunpoint, to tell my funny story about this poem. My English teacher in high school, like most of the "star" teachers at the (public) school, taught both the AP English classes (in which I was a student) and the slowest-tracked classes in English. The race differential was, as with most public schools, mostly white and middle-upper class in the AP course and mostly black and middle-lower class in the basic course. My teacher would always talk to us about the conversations in the other course because he enjoyed the fact that the students there did not know the "right" answers and always viewed the material from a very straightforward perspective. A story that he particularly cherished occurred the day the basic class was studying Donne's "Batter my Heart, Three-personed God." To begin the discussion, he began by reading the poem aloud to the class. However, before he could get past the title phrase, one of the students piped up, "Roll it up in cornmeal and fry that sucker!" I don't think he felt his lecture could follow that quip.

No comments: